Having frequent and reliable data backups is vitally important, both if you’re self-hosted or here on WordPress.com. We have a comprehensive backup strategy in place on WordPress.com.
- VIP sites are backed up every hour.
- Real-time copies of the data are stored in 3 data centers.
- We have offsite backups for additional data protection.
- For your own development and testing purposes, you can simply export all of your site’s content at Tools > Export in the Dashboard.
- Most of the time, you’ll want to contact us and let us know that a restore from backup is necessary. If it’s only one post, or a few, we will likely have different approaches.
- If you have a previous data export of your own, use Tools > Import in the Dashboard.
- If a full restoration is needed, contact us as quickly as possible.
All of your VIP theme files (templates, scripts, media) are kept in a Subversion repository. As such, there’s no risk of losing files ever, and your entire revision history is available to you at all times.