At the risk of early December overshadowing an exciting November, we have to lead off with the biggest headline from the WordPress community in years. Just last week we all celebrated the completion of months of design, development, and refinement: the release of WordPress 5.0 featuring the new block editor! And add to that the release of AMP for WordPress version 1.0, as well as an open source theme based on Big Bite’s new platform for Amnesty International, all in just the past several days. There was a whole lot of November before that, including a BigWP event in New York and launches for Indian Express, Thrive Global, Boston Herald, National University, and SheKnows. Read on and we’ll bring you up to speed with notes from across the enterprise WordPress community.
WordPress 5.0 Arrives
- The future of WordPress is here! Congratulations to the core team and all of the colleagues, partners, and community members who made the WordPress 5.0 release a reality. VIP clients, check the Lobby for all the details on deployment at VIP and next steps.
- Project lead Matt Mullenweg’s State of the Word (full video) at WordCamp US outlined the next phases of the Gutenberg project, including customization outside the post/page, collaborative editing, workflows, and multilingual innovations.
- Our own Simon Dickson runs down highlights from the State of the Word as relates to the enterprise WordPress community.
- Jeffrey Paul, core contributor and team lead at XWP, composed this WordPress 5.0 Field Guide to help you navigate the ins and outs of the new release.
News and Releases
- Nashville welcomed WordCamp US, the largest WordCamp in North America, last week. Check out WCUS on Twitter for conference photos, session takeaways, and lively post-event chatter.
- Also at WordCamp US, Automattic announced the winners for the first-ever Automattic Design Award! See the full list on the award website.
- BigWP NYC brought our friends at the New York Post, Setka, 10up, and Human Made together along with a packed house. Topics included integrating plugins with AMP, decoupled WordPress architecture for the enterprise, and more. Stay tuned for videos from the talks, coming soon.
- When PMC acquired Rolling Stone, they turned to XWP and VIP to bring the beloved brand’s digital experience up to date. The Make WordPress Marketing team just published XWP’s case study documenting the collaboration.
- Congrats to the AMP project on the release of version 1.0 of the official AMP Plugin for WordPress.
- rtCamp worked with the Indian Express team to revamp their flagship website on VIP. Their Gutenberg Fields Middleware plugin, which makes it easier to create custom Gutenberg blocks, is now compatible with WordPress 5.0. And more than a dozen rtCampers attended WordCamp Ahmedabad as proud sponsors and volunteers.
- K. Adam shared some techniques Human Made are using to bring familiar React-ecosystem developer conveniences to their Gutenberg work.
- 10up teamed up with StoryCorps for a poignant Google Doodle tribute honoring Veteran’s Day in the US.
- Alley wrote about applying scrum techniques beyond the development team.
- Big Bite took their latest work building a new block editor-ready platform for Amnesty International one step further. Their new open source theme makes some of those tools available for any organization to use.
- Hello partnered with Coral Robots to tackle the $2B robot industry. CEO and Creative Director David Lai published a piece about the lack of Asian American mentors in the design agency world.
- Inpsyde is offering an Advent calendar of helpful blog posts to celebrate the season. Here’s the first post of several in the series.
Trew Knowledge relaunched Hip2Save on VIP, giving them a refreshed interface and new community features.
- XWP released the BigCommerce for WordPress plugin and shared their take on why tech companies should invest in WordPress.
- Rasmus Lerdorf, inventor of PHP, turned 50 on November 22.
- As mentioned above, WordPress 5.0 has been released! VIP clients, you will experience no immediate change to your publishing experience. Check out the Lobby for notes on next steps and working with the Gutenberg plugin as the project moves on to next phases.
- Domains have come to the VIP Dashboard. Currently a simple list of domains mapped to your environment, VIP has big plans for its future functionality.
- VIP CLI was updated to 1.2.1:
- We now display a preview for
vip syncwhich details the backup date/time being synced and the search/replace to be performed.
- We now display the primary domain, instead of the
*.go-vip.codomain in and
vip app list.
- More details here.
- We now display a preview for
- Jetpack was updated to 6.8.1 (Lobby post for VIP clients).
- VIP MU plugins updates include:
Dekode, based in Oslo, Norway, is the leading enterprise WordPress agency in the Nordics. They blend design, development, and strategy work to build cost-effective, self-sustaining solutions for enterprise clients like Tidal, Facebook, and the Norwegian government. Read more about what they’re building in our latest partner profile.
- The Inland Press Association’s Mega Conference is slated for February 25-27 in Las Vegas. Topics span digital subscriptions, newsroom transformation, advertising sales, audience monetization and more.
- MWC Barcelona (formerly Mobile World Congress) is the largest mobile event in the world, bringing together the latest innovations and leading-edge technology from more than 2,400 leading companies. It’s happening February 25 – 28, and it’s not too late to grab a pass!
- Speaker applications are open until January 7 for the first-ever WordCamp Nordic coming to Helsinki March 7-9.
- Fancy a warmer clime? Join IRE and NICAR in Newport Beach, CA on March 7-9 for their annual conference devoted to data journalism.