Enterprise Happiness Engineer
Come help us support the teams behind some of the highest-profile and highest-traffic WordPress sites in the world. You’ll build relationships with our clients’ developers, partners, and editorial teams to improve and shape our platform, and ensure our clients and their users have the best experience with our services. We are looking for people with a mix of empathy, writing skills, accountability, WordPress knowledge, and code savviness.
Are you interested in learning more about how our team works? Check out what our Enterprise Happiness Engineers have to say.
Your day would involve:
- Maintaining the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness that is part of our high-touch, concierge support.
- Helping clients and teammates via tickets and real-time discussions using a variety of tools, processes, research, debugging, detailed error reporting, and documentation.
- Troubleshooting tough problems with client sites, themes, and platform tools that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale.
- Handling high-pressure situations and one-off projects involving complex dependencies, multiple stakeholders, and tight deadlines.
- Observing and relaying opportunities to make our platform, services, and overall offering more appealing.
- Creating and updating internal and client-facing documentation.
Useful skills for you to have:
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor.
- Advanced proficiency with WordPress and some of its plugins, themes, and WP-CLI.
- Experience working primarily in a customer-facing role, including support and training.
- Admirable troubleshooting skills that help you take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions—and importantly, keeping our customers apprised of progress throughout.
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a requirement.
- A self-driven work ethic where you take initiative and follow things through to completion. You’re comfortable prioritizing tasks and deciding what you should work on next.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Keeping up to date with changing WordPress and technology trends on behalf of the VIP team and clients, often training others once you’ve become proficient. Flexibility is key.
- Consideration of the 24/7 nature of support and an ability to regularly assist with weekend coverage, as well as some holiday and evening availability. Our customers are global, and rely on us to provide expedient support, at any time of day. This is a full-time position.
Enterprise Happiness Engineers should be fluent and eloquent in written English. If you know additional languages, be sure to tell us.
We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, physical disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send an email to
jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? Let us know where you heard about the position and what your thoughts are on these questions:
- What do you think makes for a great enterprise-level client experience?
- If a client raises an urgent issue with very few details, what steps would you take with the client and with our team to help the client in a timely manner?
All Jobs Require
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is vital.
- Self-driven work ethic. You should be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast, who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow? Flexibility is key.