Enterprise Happiness Engineer
Our customer-facing WordPress support role requires a mix of debugging and development experience as well as phenomenal communication skills. You’ll be working directly with both client and agency developers on some of the highest-profile and highest-traffic WordPress sites in the world. Your voice as a customer advocate will help to improve and shape our platform, ensuring our clients and their site visitors have the best experience with our services. We are looking for people with empathy, writing skills, accountability, WordPress knowledge, and code savviness.
Are you interested in learning more about how our team works? Check out what our Enterprise Happiness Engineers have to say.
Your day would involve:
- Maintaining the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness that is part of our high-touch, concierge support.
- Helping clients and teammates via tickets and real-time discussions using a variety of research, debugging, tools, processes, detailed error reporting, and documentation.
- Solving tough problems with client sites, themes, and platform tools that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale.
- Handling high-pressure situations and one-off projects involving complex dependencies, multiple stakeholders, and tight deadlines.
- Observing and relaying opportunities to make our platform, services, and overall offering more appealing.
- Creating and updating internal and client-facing documentation.
Useful skills for you to have:
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor.
- A deep knowledge of WordPress and some of its plugins, themes, and WP-CLI.
- Experience working primarily in a customer-facing role, including support and training.
- Admirable troubleshooting skills that help you take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions—and importantly, keeping our customers apprised of progress throughout.
- Understanding of issues around scalability and performance.
- Exposure to monitoring tools such as Kibana and New Relic.
- Consideration of the 24/7 nature of support and an ability to regularly assist with weekend coverage, as well as some holiday and evening availability. Our customers are global, and rely on us to provide expedient support, at any time of day. This is a full-time position.
- Fluency and eloquence in written English are a requirement; additional spoken or written languages can be beneficial.
Our team will train you on the VIP platform, the inner workings of our services and help you increase your WordPress expertise even further. Should you show interest or proficiency during this mentorship, we will put you in a position to apply your skills to engineering opportunities of even greater scale and complexity. This could include debugging client code to a greater degree, monitoring performance, gaining more client exposure, building internal tools, or assisting with site migrations to our platform.
We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, physical disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send an email to
jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? Let us know where you heard about the position and what your thoughts are on these questions:
- What do you think makes for a phenomenal enterprise-level client experience?
- If a client raises an urgent issue with very few details, what steps would you take with the client and with our team to help the client in a timely manner?
- Tell us some details about an interesting problem you’ve worked on. Did you create something and make it better? Or, were you able to resolve an issue through changing an aspect of it to make it better/different?
All Jobs Require
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is vital.
- Self-driven work ethic. You should be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Keeping up to date with changing WordPress and technology trends on behalf of the VIP team and clients, often training others once you’ve become proficient. Flexibility is key.