As some of the biggest brands on the web, our clients and partners are often pushing the limits of WordPress. We help them get the most out of WordPress by providing guidance, reviewing code for security and performance, and developing new tools to improve our platform. We are looking for developers, to join our diverse and hard-working team, who bring excellence in software engineering, communication, and problem-solving skills. We are completely distributed, so you can work from home or anywhere in the world with a good broadband connection.
VIP Developers work on one of three squads, each with different day-to-day responsibilities, and have the flexibility to move between squads or stay on one squad.
- Work closely with a client to advise them on the best way to structure their theme or plugins
- Review code to provide feedback and guidance for client developers
- Collaborate with clients through the launch of their sites
- Assist with content migration
- Anticipate client needs as they head into launch
- Guide large organizations with architectural decisions, including the ongoing development of new features and functionality
- Understand their organization’s needs at a deep level, and be able to recommend best practices or workflows, as well as tools and plugins
- Review client themes, plugins, and technical integrations
- Debug complex issues, anticipate potential future needs and challenges
- Debug complex problems encountered by clients
- Build tools to help the support team be more efficient
- Work on plugins for clients and the community
- Conduct performance audits of sites
- Debug and solve platform-level issues impacting all clients
- Fix security issues impacting the platform or popular plugins
- Help with occasional day to day code review
You’ll have the ability to set your own schedule outside of a required 4 to 8 hours a week of “on call” time for resolving urgent client issues and code deployments. This will typically fall during your morning or afternoon, although some weekend work is possible.
We’re looking for developers who have:
- A minimum of 2 years of WordPress specific experience – including in-depth experience of security and performance. Please provide references and examples to highlight this, with details of the role, and what you did in the example.
- WordPress experience beyond theme work – anything you highlight should showcase your skill level
- Strong debugging skills
- A desire to learn and grow
- Superb communication skills
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socio-economic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte.
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- Anniversary awards: WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off your passport. Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé.
Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us some details about an interesting programming problem you’ve worked on. What made it interesting?
- What was your experience writing or changing a WordPress plugin or theme’s code to ensure it is secure?
- Tell us about an experience you’ve had with code you’ve written or changed to ensure a WordPress plugin or theme you worked on was performant.
- What questions do you have for us?
Interested in seeing what other positions we have available? We have the updated list here: https://vip.wordpress.com/careers/