WordPress.com VIP Platform
This document is for sites running on our WordPress.com VIP platform.
Having frequent and reliable data backups is vitally important, both if you’re self-hosted or here on WordPress.com. We have a comprehensive backup strategy in place on WordPress.com.
- VIP sites are backed up every hour.
- Real-time copies of the data are stored in 3 data centers.
- We have offsite backups for additional data protection.
- For your own development and testing purposes, you can simply export all of your site’s content at Tools > Export in the Dashboard. On VIP we also offer the WP Options Importer plugin that, when enabled via the VIP dashboard or in your theme, allows you to export the options data for a site.
- Most of the time, you’ll want to contact us and let us know that a restore from backup is necessary. If it’s only one post, or a few, we will likely have different approaches.
- If you have a previous data export of your own, use Tools > Import in the Dashboard.
- If a full restoration is needed, contact us as quickly as possible.
All of your VIP theme files (templates, scripts, media) are kept in a Subversion repository. As such, there’s no risk of losing files ever, and your entire revision history is available to you at all times.
You may also be interested in these documents: