VIP Go platform specific
This document is for sites running on VIP Go.
This document covers how domain mapping and DNS are managed on VIP Go.
Domain mapping and convenience domains #
- Each new VIP Go site is provisioned by default with a “convenience” domain that is a subdomain of
.go-vip.co, for example
example.go-vip.co, to use during development.
- To ensure your site is as secure as possible, we do not allow launched production sites to use this convenience domain and you must procure a custom domain (eg:
example.com), before your site launches.
- Non-production environments may also have mapped domains (eg:
develop.example.com), but this is not a requirement.
- VIP Go supports www and non-www variants of domains. We’ll ask which variant you’d like to be the fully qualified domain name (FQDN). For single sites, the www domain will redirect to the non-www domain. In a multisite, these redirects will need to be handled specifically, e.g. in the vip-config.php file, as outlined below.
- All mapped domains on VIP Go need an SSL certificate. The VIP team will handle the procurement, installation and renewal of certificates.
Domain mapping for multisite #
- For multisite, domains can be mapped in the Network Admin using core WordPress functionality. This only allows one domain to be used per site.
- If you’re using more than one domain per site, set up your vip-config.php file to handle redirecting secondary domains to the desired primary domain for each subsite. Note that for multisite, redirects between non-www domains and www variants need to be specified in vip-config.php.
- For more advanced multisite domain mapping, you can use
sunrise.phpand, optionally, a domain mapping plugin.
- See our documentation about Multisite on VIP Go.
WordPress.com DNS #
We highly recommend hosting your DNS with our fast infrastructure. By taking this approach, it enables our skilled systems team to effectively route traffic to additional servers, mitigate attacks, or accommodate for a rare outage in one of our data centers.
If you plan on hosting your DNS with us, contact us via support ticket and we will set up domain management for you, where you can self-service create DNS entries to mirror your current setup. Once setup is complete, you can verify and switch to our nameservers. This should be done at least a week before launch.
External DNS setup #
- To use a domain on VIP Go (ie: example.com), its A record needs to point to our Anycast IP (currently
18.104.22.168, but subject to change).
- To use a subdomain (ie: site.example.com), the CNAME should point to
- To use both a domain and subdomain (ie: example.com and site.example.com), the subdomain’s CNAME can point to the domain instead.
- To use a www subdomain (www.example.com or http://www.site.example.com), the CNAME should point to the domain (example.com) or subdomain (site.example.com). This assumes that the domain/subdomain are also pointing to VIP Go.
To check a DNS record, run
dig example.com on the command line, or use a web-based service such as whatsmydns.net.