Join the VIP Team
The VIP team provides consulting, support, hosting, training, and other services to some of the biggest and best WordPress sites for clients like Time Inc., Facebook, Microsoft, News Corp, FiveThirtyEight, The New York Times, and hundreds more.
As some of the biggest brands on the web, our clients are often defining and evolving models for using WordPress at scale. We work hand-in-hand with them, and treat their applications as if they were our own. The VIP team helps our clients get the most out of WordPress, doing everything from providing guidance, to reviewing their code to ensure security and performance, to developing new tools to help improve our platform.
We’re a diverse group of people from a wide variety of backgrounds who bring excellence in software engineering, communication and problem-solving skills to help our clients and partners do amazing things with WordPress. Our company is completely distributed, so we work from anywhere we can find a good broadband connection.
If you want to join the VIP team, that means you’re passionate about building partnerships, collaborating to solve complex problems, and helping innovative organizations launch some of the most high-profile, high-traffic WordPress sites out there. You’re an amazing communicator. You’re proactive, you get things done with minimal or no direction, and you rarely pass up a chance to learn something new.
In a typical day you can expect to:
- Work closely with a client to advise them on the best way to structure their CMS, theme, feature or plugin;
- Review code and provide feedback and guidance to client developers;
- Troubleshoot tough problems that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale;
- Learn, laugh, and help out fellow co-workers in Slack.
Skills that come in handy:
- Advanced proficiency coding with WordPress.
- Experience with code security. You’re familiar with the items on the OWASP top 10 and know how to prevent them.
- Experience with code performance. You’re familiar with caching, algorithm performance, MySQL indexes and how to leverage them.
- Comfortable working primarily in a customer-facing role, including providing support and training to other developers.
- You enjoy collaborating with other developers, reviewing code, and making recommendations on technique or approach.
- Great troubleshooting skills. Must be able to take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions—and importantly, keep our customers apprised of progress throughout.
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a must.
- Self-driven work ethic. You need to be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion. You’re comfortable prioritizing tasks and deciding what you should work on next.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast, who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow? Flexibility is key.
- Availability outside of traditional business hours. Our customers are global, and rely on us to provide expedient support, at any time of day.
We’re serious about increasing diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
We are currently looking to fill these positions on the VIP team:
How To Apply
Then, follow the instructions on the individual position listing. Please don’t contact the VIP team directly with your application.
We regularly invite applications for internships on the VIP team, but we’re not currently accepting any. Stay tuned to the VIP blog for announcements about future internship opportunities.