WordPress is the free open source software project powering approximately 24% of the web’s top 10 million web sites, including many at newsrooms large and small. Here is a sampling of top resources for journalists:
- EditFlow – coordinate editorial workflow in the dashboard with custom statuses, a calendar, notifications, and discussions.
- CoAuthors Plus – Give articles multiple bylines, set up guest authors who don’t need logins.
- WP Help – Put your current style guide or other helpful info in a tab within the writing interface.
- Zoninator – Fast drag-and-drop curation of where content appears on a front or index page.
- Mobile apps – Post on the go to any WordPress site with apps for iOS and Andriod. Or for a lo-fi approach, post by sending an email via Jetpack.
- Distraction Free Writing – The best little button in WordPress. Hide everything but your writing.
- Display Posts Shortcode – A quick and easy way to display a list of recent posts in a category, by an author, etc.
- VIP News – See what big publishers are doing with WordPress.
- WP-CLI – A Unix command line interface to run imports, make updates, perform complex queries, and more.
- _s – A starter theme to use when building your own, with modern best practices built-in and minimal styling in your way. “A 1,000 hour head start.”
- VIP Scanner – Scan your theme or plugin for common security, performance, and code style issues.
- Security White Paper – A document explaining the WordPress core security team’s practices, with technical advice for keeping your installation safe.
- VVV – an evolving Vagrant configuration for WordPress development. And if you develop for WordPress.com VIP, check out VIP Quickstart.
The BigWP Meetup is open to developers, product managers, business owners, and editorial teams who use large, high-traffic WordPress sites. The meetup focuses on issues concerning the operation, development, and scaling of large, high-traffic WordPress websites. Topics tend to be technical, but not exclusively—all are welcome, including folks from the editorial and business side. Sign up for the group near you so you’re notified of upcoming meetups, and be sure to check the #BigWP hashtag on Twitter.
Q&A sessions at ONA
Stop by our ONA15 booth each day before lunch for an informal discussion with fellow WordPress users doing great work.
- Thursday 12:00 noon – WordPress show & tell, demo your projects, we encourage bragging
- Friday 12:30 pm – Scaling & performance, with Erick Hitter of VIP
- Saturday 12:30 pm – Charts & graphs, with Josh Kadis of Alley Interactive
If you’re not tired of conference talks yet
News Corp UK on building a scalable WordPress
Why the Washington Post uses WordPress with Yuri Victor
Making a super fast theme at TechCrunch
qz.com, a web app powered by WordPress with Josh Kadis
State of the Word 2014 with Matt Mullenweg