The VIP team is a diverse, hard working and kind group of people from a wide variety of backgrounds who bring excellence in software engineering, communication and problem-solving skills to help our clients and partners do amazing things with WordPress. Our company is completely distributed, so we work from anywhere we can find a good broadband connection.
As some of the biggest brands on the web, our clients are often pushing the limits of WordPress. The VIP team works to help our clients get the most out of WordPress, doing everything from providing guidance, to reviewing their code to ensure security and performance, to developing new tools to help improve our platform.
VIP Developers work in three squads, each with different day-to-day responsibilities. Developers have the flexibility to move between squads or stay on one squad.
- Work closely with a client to advise them on the best way to structure their theme or plugins
- Review code and provide feedback and guidance to client developers
- Help guide clients through the launch of their sites
- Assist with content migration
- Think proactively for clients as they head into launch
- Guide large organizations with architectural decisions, including the ongoing development of new features and functionality
- Understand the organization’s needs at a deep level, and be able to recommend best practices and workflows as well as tools and plugins
- Review client themes, plugins, and technical integrations
- Debug complex problems and anticipate potential future needs and challenges
- Debug complex problems encountered by clients
- Build tools to help the support team be more efficient
- Work on plugins for clients and the community
- Do performance audits of sites
- Add or debug platform level issues impacting all clients
- Fix security issues impacting the platform or popular plugins
- Help with occasional day to day code review
You’ll have the ability to set your own schedule outside of a required 4 to 8 hours a week of “on call” time for urgents and code deployments. This will typically fall during your morning or afternoon, although some weekend work is possible.
We’re looking for developers who have:
- Minimum 2 years of WordPress specific experience – experience with performance and security a bonus
- Strong debugging skills
- A desire to learn and grow
- Great communication skills
Want to learn more about who you’ll be working with? Check out: vip.wordpress.com/jobs/
A great way to know if you have the development skills required for the position is to review the Intentionally Vulnerable Plugin and see if you can find the vulnerabilities. Bonus points for catching the VIP specific feedback that you can find here: https://vip.wordpress.com/documentation/code-review-what-we-look-for/
We’re serious about increasing diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion here.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé.
Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us some details about an interesting programming problem you’ve worked on. What made it interesting?
- How do you use our products or their competitors’? How would you improve one of them?
- What questions do you have for us?
Interested in seeing what other positions we have available? We have the updated list here: https://vip.wordpress.com/careers/